With the different language programs available right now, you will have a hard time making a distinction between the methods that are truly comprehensive versus the ones that only addresses a part of the learning process. The truth is that this method had never existed but instead, each of them has its own strengths and weaknesses in certain areas. So it would be great to establish a well-rounded study regimen that will consist of different activities and resources.
To get a good grasp of the different learning programs available, this article will take on the famous ones which are Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone. There’s no doubt why these two are leading in the industry but there’s a big difference that will easily vary the one from the other.
Check out the comparison below between Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone so that you can decide which of them will suit you best:
This language program comes in two forms: a cheaper online version and a very expensive software product. In addition to that, it provides supplementary products such as a social website that provides access to native tutors and audio CDs. However, Rosetta Stone only offers the Brazilian Portuguese language so if you plan on learning something different like European Portuguese then you may want to reconsider another language program.
- Type – Online app, computer program, social website, supplemental audio
- Ideal For – Listening, reading
- Not Ideal For – Writing, speaking
- Dialects – Brazilian only
- Cost – $200-600
- Larger vocabulary – Once you have listened to this program, you will have a larger vocabulary compared to Pimsleur.
- Interactive and engaging – The variety of activities and interaction makes this a great choice for learners who prefer visual aids or anyone who gets easily distracted.
- More reading practice – Since this program focuses more on visual aids, reading is usually involved in most activities.
- More comprehensive – Even though that both Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur won’t provide you with near fluency, the level 3 of Rosetta contains adequate material to bring you near that goal.
This is an audio-only method program that consists of roughly 90 half-hour lessons that will take 3 months in average to finish considering that you only perform 1 lesson a day.
- Type – Audio course, CD or mp3
- Ideal For – Listening and speaking
- Not Ideal For – Writing and reading
- Dialects – Brazilian and European
- Cost – $0-180
- Much better conversational practice – This program will train you to quickly translate those thoughts from an English language into a speech in Portuguese where it’s ideal to be used in a conversation. Once you are done with this course, you will be more capable of doing simple conversations.
- Better pronunciation – Since this program is focused on speaking and listening, there’s a big possibility that learners will come out with a much clearer pronunciation. You will be getting some feedback right away from native speakers after every time you will make a response until you get it right.
- Cheaper – A lot of libraries have language learning sections that may contain Pimsleur CDs which makes it technically free.
- Sitting in front of a computer is not necessary – You can commence your Pimsleur lesson while you’re cooking, driving, or taking a bath. This provides it with a greater advantage over the Rosetta Stone program.